We kept our apple butter simple with cinnamon for delicious flavor, but feel free to add any of your favorite Fall spices, cloves, nutmeg and ginger all work well too.
The difference between applesauce and Apple butter is the latter is super concentrated, all the extra liquid is cooked down and the apples get almost caramelized for a rich apple flavor and more natural sweetness.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cupsServings
- 3 pounds apples, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup water or apple cider vinegar
1. Core and chop the apples and place them in a slow cooker. Add cinnamon and water then cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Place cooked apples in a blender or food processor or use a hand blender to puree the soft apples until smooth. Place puree back into slow cooker to cook down even more for 1-2 more hours until nice and thick and spreadable.
3. Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 3 weeks, use in our 2-Ingredient Dough Apple Cinnamon Rugelach.