Sometimes I have trouble getting the pocket inside, but even if it is flat it is delicious.
- 16 ServingsServings
- 2 teaspoon dry yeasr
- 2 1/2 cup warm water
- 5-6 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
You can cook on a large baking sheet in the oven or a cast iron pan on the stove.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the water. Stir to dissolve.
- Stir in 3 cups flour, one cup at a time, and then stir 100 times or for about 1 minute. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or as long as 2 hours.
- Sprinkle salt over the sponge and stir in the olive oil. Mix well. Add more flour, one cup at a time until a dough is too stiff to stir.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in large ziplock bag sprayed with cooking spray and keep in warm place for 11/2 hours. Dough can be stored in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- If baking on baking sheet, place on bottom rack of oven, preheat to 450.
- Gently punch dough. Divide in half, and cover one half. Divide one half into 8 pieces, roll out each into a circle about 8 inches diameter. Keep rolled out bread covered until ready.
- Place 2 breads on cookie sheet until it balloons. Or on stove top, preheat pan over medium high heat, lightly grease and place one bread at a time. Cook 15-20 seconds, then turn over and cook 1 minute until it bubbles. Turn back to first side and cook until it balloons.
- Wrap in kitchen towels to keep warm.