Even if you think you don’t like Indian food you probably would like Palak Paneer, the traditional Southern Indian spinach curry cooked with cubes of Indian Paneer cheese.
The flavors are mild and the texture is divine. It can be hard to find paneer cheese so we are using tofu.
The final step of pureeing can be easily done with an immersion blender. You can skip this step, but it’s what gives that perfectly creamy texture everyone from your 10 month old to your picky husband will love.
If you don’t like tofu try subbing chickpeas.
This dish is loaded with spinach which is high in vitamin K, calcium and iron.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or 5 cubes frozen garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger or 3 cubes frozen
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked brown basmati
- In large saute pan heat evoo over medium high heat. Saute tofu until browned on both sides, remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium add remaining 1 tablespoon evoo, sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and garam masala and sauté another minute. Add tomatoes and spinach, bring to a simmer and cover for 5 minutes.
- Using and immersion blender blend well adding up to a cup of water if needed.
- Add salt to taste, add tofu and simmer until tofu is hot and ready to serve.
- Serve with rice.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 352
- Carbohydrate Content: 45.9 g
- Fat Content: 13.3 g
- Fiber Content: 9.5 g
- Protein Content: 19.7 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 9.5 g