The tahini-coconut sauce ties in the Israeli and Caribbean flavors of this unique and exotic grilled chicken.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Chicken and Marinade:
- 4 pounds boneless baby chicken
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh thyme
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Water, as needed
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Place chicken in ziplock bags and pour marinade over it, making sure the marinade is well-distributed on the chicken. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Fire up your charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
4. Place chicken on grill over direct heat and cook until nice and brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
5. Move chicken to a platter and serve with tahini-coconut sauce, toasted pita, sliced Persian cucumbers, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.
6. In a food processor combine all ingredients while adding a bit of water until smooth and a bit runny.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Summer 2014. Subscribe Now.
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our *free* JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.