This lunch recipe concept comes from one of our Fresh Families flagship members,
Bulgur is a cracked wheat and is a whole grain that cooks in about five minutes with boiling water or longer if soaked with room temp water.
For this recipe you can make your lunch ahead and the bulgur will “cook” in the dressing. Absorbing all the flavor until ready to eat.
We suggest packing it in mason jars the night before, then pour onto a plate when serving so the dressing at the bottom covers the veggies.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup bulgur, raw
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, about 1 ½ cups
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups fresh chopped parsley, mint and/or cilantro
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Za’atar, optional
- Place ¼ cup bulgur each into 4 jars or lunch containers. Top each with ¼ cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 clove garlic, salt and pepper.
- Divide chickpeas, cranberries, olives, herbs, cucumbers and tomatoes, layering each jar.
- Sprinkle with za’atar if desired.
- Store in fridge until ready to eat. Serve poured onto a plate
- Serving Size: per serving
- Calories: 346
- Carbohydrate Content: 62.7 g
- Fat Content: 8.3 g
- Fiber Content: 13.9 g
- Protein Content: 12.3 g
- Sodium Content: 397 mg
- Sugar Content: 16.9 g