Editor's Note: Aunt Vennie’s Kale and Red Pepper Quiche is pure kosher soul food. This savory quiche is pareve, but full of flavor.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough 10x14 "
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large shallots sliced thin
- 5 fresh eggs
- ½ cup soy or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup non-dairy cream cheese
- 1/3 cup non-dairy sour cream
- 1/3 cup non-dairy shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups small kale, sliced very thin
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg (fresh ground)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13" pan with margarine.
2. Place puff pastry dough on a clean work area and roll out with rolling pin. Sprinkle bottom of baking pan with bread crumbs. Line pan with puff pastry dough. Press dough into pan and pierce with fork – this will prevent the dough from puffing up.
3. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until the dough forms a light golden color.
4. Sauté the kale, shallots, and red peppers for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
5. In a large mixing bowl add eggs, soy milk, flour, cheese, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and fresh nutmeg. Mix well. Add kale, peppers, and shallots.
6. Pour into baked sheet. Let sit for 1 minute. Pound once or twice on counter to remove any air from mix. Place in the middle rack of oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Recipe posted with permission from Kosher Soul Food - A cookbook by Comedian Sunda Croonquist and Chef Nir Weinblut (pg.151).