I love frying up oyster mushrooms and adding them to any kind of salad. My son calls it "bacon" cause it gets crispy and delicious. Use the oil from the pan a little lemon juice or vinegar and your salad is done. With this salad I went a little further with the dressing to make it a creamy caesar and used kale as the base. With or without parmesan would be amazing.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 smashed and 2 crushed
- 8 oz. oyster mushrooms
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 2 anchovy fillets, smashed
- 2 dashes worcheshtire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves cut
1. Coat a large saute pan with olive oil. Toss in half the garlic and bring the pan to medium heat. Cook until it becomes golden and very aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and throw it away. Toss in the oyster mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they are golden and crisp. Remove from the heat and reserve.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, the crushed garlic, the Dijon, anchovies, and Worcestershire. Whisk until smooth. Add mayonnaise and mix well, taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
3. In a large bowl, toss the kale with two-thirds of the dressing. Let the kale sit for 3 to 4 minutes to soften and mix with hands. Taste, add the remaining dressing, and adjust the seasoning if needed.
4. Top with crispy mushrooms, drizzle extra oil from the pan over top. Sprinkle with parmesan if desired and extra black pepper to taste.