We love getting veggies at breakfast any way we can and waffles are so much fun, but don’t stop at breakfast. These savory waffles/pancakes would also be delicious for dinner with a fried egg or some smoked salmon.
Make ahead and freeze in single serve portions and reheat in the toaster as you would any frozen waffles.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 wafflesServings
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ cups kale, chopped
- Garnish: 1 teaspoon silan or maple syrup or honey and pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and add ricotta, milk, eggs, and butter. Mix the wet ingredients and then incorporate the dry ingredients. Add the kale and parmesan and mix again.
- Heat a waffle iron or griddle for pancakes (use a bit of oil if it is not non stick) and measure out ½ cup batter per portion. Cook until golden brown, flipping halfway through for pancakes.
- Serve drizzled with silan and sprinkled with cayenne.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup waffle
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrate Content: 20.7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 61 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 8.9 g
- Sugar Content: 2.5 g