This refreshing Kale Salad with Candied Almonds, Apples and Maple Dressing is sweetened by homemade candied nuts and a simple maple syrup dressing.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup (69 g) whole raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped
- ½ cup (75 g) crumbled Feta cheese
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tart apple (Granny Smith, Northern Spy or Braeburn), halved, cored and thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
2. To make the Maple Dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well incorporated, then set aside.
3. To make the Candied Almonds: In a bowl, toss the almonds with the olive oil, maple syrup and salt, spread in one flat layer on a parchment- or foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
4. To make the Kale Salad: In a large bowl, combine the kale, feta, scallions, apple and warm almonds, toss with the dressing and serve immediately.
Tip: If you don’t have almonds, you can use any other nuts you have on hand—pecans or walnuts would be delicious.
Recipe posted with permission from Great Meals with Greens and Grains, by Megan Wolf