A warm dressing slightly softens the kale in this delicious salad with a crunchy nut topping that makes it extra satisfying.
If you like this recipe browse through more kale salads here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts (any combination of pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, almonds, etc.)
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced (1 cup sliced)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 large bunch curly kale
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
Make the dressing:
Heat ½ cup olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, swirling occasionally, until they soften but don’t brown, 10 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, return to a boil, then remove from the heat, and cover to keep warm.
Make the Crunchy nut topping:
Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts, swirl to coat, and toast, stirring, until the nuts are fragrant and begin to darken and pop, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make and finish the salad:
Separate the kale leaves from the stems, discard the stems, then wash and dry the leaves very well. Finely chop the kale; you should have about 6 cups chopped kale. Arrange the kale and radishes in a salad bowl, then pour the warm dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Top with the crunchy nut topping.