The last dish I learned at my vegetarian Balinese cooking class was this amazing salad. Simple and sublime, like a peanuty slaw, but with raw thin shaved eggplant, beansprouts and lots of hot pepper. Just before serving you grind up all the spices and mix it gently with the vegetables.
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup long beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 small eggplant, shaved thin
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 bunch lemon basil or regular basil
- 1 cup peanuts
- 5 small red chili peppers, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon water or more as needed
Place vegetables in a bowl.
Grind all the spices together in a large mortar and pestle. Mix the vegetables gently with spices and serve.
See how it is prepared in this short clip: