This is how you make an authentic lemon and olive chicken tagine. Don't worry if you don't have the actual tagine (the special pot), you can use any heavy bottomed pot with a lid.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 pieces
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Mix spices and salt in a small bowl. Cover chicken pieces with the spices.
- Heat evoo in a heavy pot or tagine. Add chicken and cook on all sides until browned, in batches if needed. Remove the chicken from the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the broth and stir. Add the chicken and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemons into the pot and add the rinds. Add the olives. Cook for 10 more minutes on high heat, uncovered. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with couscous.