This microwaved Lemon Sponge Cake, Topped with Zabaglione and Berries makes enough for two servings. Simply double or triple recipe as needed.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup mixed berries, such as strawberries and blueberries
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet red wine
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In a small mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, and zest from 1 lemon.
2. Spray a microwave-safe coffee mug or ramekin and microwave on high for 40 seconds (you may have to play around with the timing as every microwave is different).
3. Set up a double boiler, not too large. Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl on top of boiler and whisk nonstop until mixture has thickened (at least ten minutes).
4. Add champagne and continue to thicken.
5. Scrape in vanilla bean or vanilla extract and set aside.
6. Toss berries, red wine, confectioners' sugar, and mint leaves together. Let sit for at least two hours.
7. Cut cake into pieces and spread out on a plate. Top cake with zabaglione and macerated berries.
Serve with a scoop of passion-fruit sorbet on plate. Sprinkle zest of lime on sorbet. Garnish dessert with fresh mint.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now