Make a big batch of hearty veggie chili with lots of lentils and serve in a baked sweet potato boat for a fun meal everyone will enjoy.
Both the chili and the sweet potatoes can be made ahead and reheated when ready to eat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 medium sweet potaoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 large red onion, diced small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (15-ounce) cans, chopped tomatoes and their juices
- 1 pound brown lentils (larger green lentils are not right for this dish)
- 8 cups water
- kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, low-fat yogurt, diced, avocado, chopped scallions, fresh herbs
Preheat oven to 400℉.
1. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet, turning once, until flesh is soft and yielding, 45–55 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large Dutch oven or large saucepan, lightly coated with 2 tablespoons evoo, over medium heat. Brown carrots, onion, and pepper until golden brown. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, lentils and water. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour or until lentils have softened but still maintain texture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. When sweet potatoes are ready, allow to cool while preparing garnishes.
5. Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out a bit of potato flesh to make space for the chili. Add the potato flesh to the chili and mix well.
6. Serve chili over sweet potatoes and topped with garnishes of choice.
- Serving Size: 1 cup chili with garnishes and sweet potato
- Calories: 570
- Carbohydrate Content: 78 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Sodium Content: 990 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g