Otherwise called Huevos Rancheros, this Mexican flavored Shakshuka shows the fusion between Israeli and Mexican cuisine in a traditional way.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped veggies, such as mushrooms, bell peppers, kale, and/or zucchini
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 eggs
- 8 small tortillas
- Optional Toppings: Cheese, Avocado, Sour Cream
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add evoo, when it is hot, add onion and saute until tender. Add vegetables and cook until tender. Add beans, diced tomatoes and spices and simmer for a few minutes.
2. Use a spoon to create four indentations in the filling. Crack eggs into the indentations.
3. Cover pan with lid and cook until eggs are set.
4. Meanwhile, heat tortillas and prepare garnishes.
5. Serve one egg with sauce in a tortilla with optional toppings.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Cholesterol Content: 330 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 740 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g