Miso is a salty paste made from fermented beans, most often soy beans, but it could also be made from grains. It comes in many different colors, each referring to the
The fermentation provides an incredible depth of flavor that gives miso an umami quality, but it is also loaded with health benefits, such as:
- relieving fatigue
- regulating digestive and intestinal functions
- protecting against gastric ulcers
- decreasing cholesterol and blood pressure levels
- preventing inflammation
- lowering risk for diseases associated with lifestyle factors, like cancers and heart disease
This bowl makes the perfect make ahead packable lunch, but if you want to turn it into a more substantial dinner, top with an egg, avocado slices, and some crunchy nuts.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and unpeeled, cut in 1-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons yellow or white miso
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons silan (date honey) or honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups cooked farro or wheatberries
- 4 cups chopped greens, spinach, kale or chard
- Garnish: toasted sesame seeds, shredded nori, or chopped scallions (green parts only)
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Arrange sweet potato on baking sheet and roast at 425℉ for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together miso, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and ¼ cup water. Set aside.
- Remove pan from oven. Add mushrooms and pour half the sauce over top of potatoes and mushrooms. Toss well and place back in oven 425℉ for 10 minutes more, until veggies are caramelized and tender.
- When ready to serve, layer ¾ cup grains, greens, sweet potatoes and mushrooms in a bowl. Drizzle with remaining sauce and top with shredded nori, scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 303
- Carbohydrate Content: 61.3 g
- Fat Content: 4.8 g
- Fiber Content: 7.2 g
- Protein Content: 8.5 g
- Sodium Content: 1065 mg
- Sugar Content: 19.1 g