With the holidays quickly approaching, we find ourselves yet again in the kitchen preparing daily feasts for our families and friends. Whether we are cooking traditional foods or new recipes, we sometimes get lost in the idea that the more complicated the recipe, the tastier and more impressive it is. In my own cooking, I find that it's usually the simpler recipes using fresh and in season produce are the most delicious and healthier to boot. Let's put the healthy back into the new year and cook fresh, seasonal foods!
Here is a favorite recipe of mine, Moroccan Mint Beet Salad. Pairs beautifully with any fish appetizer from gefilte to sea bass and everything in between.
Wishing everyone a Shana Tova, a Happy, Healthy and Delicious New Year!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 6 medium beets (3 gold, 3 red)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar or agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
1. Rinse and trim beets. Place in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 1 hour.
2. Remove beets from water and allow to cool, then peel and dice into bite-sized pieces.
3. Add scallions and mint to beets.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together vinegar, oil, sugar or agave nectar, lime juice, and cumin.
5. Pour over beets, scallions, and mint and toss ingredients to coat evenly.
6. Serve chilled.