This dish is a perfect vegetarian burger option. The creaminess of the cheese perfectly complements the earthiness of the mushrooms.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- Gefen Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- 6 portabella mushroom caps, each 3- to 4-inches in diameter
- 1/4 cup Bartenura Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices Natural & Kosher Mozzarella
- 12 slices crusty bread
- 1 16-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, dried with paper towels, and cut into strips
1. Spray grill pan with cooking spray and place over high heat.
2. To prepare mushrooms for grilling: Remove the stems. Use a spoon to remove the gills by running it along the bottoms of the mushrooms. Wipe clean with paper towels.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Brush the mixture on both sides of each mushroom with a pastry brush.
4. When grill pan is very hot, place mushrooms in the pan, gill side up. Baste mushrooms with the vinegar and oil mixture. Cook for 8 minutes. Turn and cook second side for 6 minutes. Place a mozzarella slice on top of each mushroom cap and continue cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes to melt cheese.
5. To assemble: Place mushrooms, cheese side up, on a slice of bread. Evenly distribute roasted red pepper slices on the cheese and place a second slice of bread on top.
Serve with Quick Gazpacho.