I created this recipe by using some of my favorite in-season pairings: arugula with pears that are piled on top of Gouda or creamy melted Brie, and drizzled generously with honey, pistachios, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Each bite bursts with a slightly sweet and creamy but salted flavor—this is the type of thing you make when you want to feel good all over. It hits every taste bud in the right spot and it’s so perfect you may just have more than one. (You can substitute the Gouda for Brie.)
Try this recipe for the Avocado Smash pictured above.
When using Gouda I prefer this sandwich cold, when using Brie I prefer to slightly warm the bread with the cheese.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Fresh grain bread sliced into 1-inch slices
- Ripe Bartlett pears (can substitute apples)
- Sliced Gouda or Brie, we used Natual & Kosher Brie
- Orange blossom honey
- Walnuts (can substitute pistachios)
- Maldon sea salt flakes or kosher salt
1. Cover the bread with thinly sliced pears or apples.
2. Add the thin slices of Gouda cheese.
3. Scatter a few arugula leaves.
4. Drizzle with orange blossom honey.
5. Add the crumbled walnuts (if you are using pistachios and they are salted, omit the sea salt flakes).
6. Sprinkle a pinch of Maldon salt flakes on top.
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Slice the bread and lay it on a baking sheet, or toast it lightly in a toaster. Add the slices of Brie and bake for approximately five minutes, until the bread has a very light brown toast color to it and the Brie is slightly melted. Top the Brie with pear slices or apples.
3. Drizzle with orange blossom honey, or whatever honey you have on hand. Sprinkle with crumbled walnuts or pistachios.
4. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and top with a few scattered arugula leaves.
5. Devour immediately. And repeat.