This rich and filling side dish can also be a vegetarian main, loaded with flavor, vitamins and nutrients from the mix of grains and legumes. You can certainly make this recipe with simple brown rice, but if you can find a blend of rices it is even better. We like this Tricolor rice blend.
This recipe is made in the oven keeping it super simple (you can even use a disposable tin for easy cleanup). If you use Ras El Hanout and top with caramelized onions it is very similar to Mujadarah. Use our oven method to caramelize the onions and it can cook at the same time as the rice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups tricolor rice
- 1 cup lentils (any kind)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon spices, we like Ras El Hanout
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 400℉.
2. Spread the rice, lentils and chickpeas in the bottom of a large casserole or disposable tin. Add salt, spices and oil. Pour in boiling water, cover and bake for 1 hour.
3. Remove from oven, stir with a fork and top with caramelized onions if desired. Serve.