This is a nice vegetarian entree easy to make for yourself or any vegetarian guests you are having. Cover the tofu with the spices and bake, enjoy hot or cold.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 16 ounce extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon soybean oil (vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each oregano and salt (oregano leaves, dried and crushed)
- 1 sweet red pepper, quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 medium mushrooms, quartered
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut tofu in half vertically then horizontally. Drain on several layers of paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. If desired, score surfaces to allow more marinade to penetrate tofu.
- Combine vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, oregano and salt; mix well.
- Place tofu and vegetables in a shallow baking pan leaving enough space between the pieces for even roasting; brush with vinegar mixture. Let stand 30 minutes, brush again and let stand 30 minutes longer.
- Bake tofu, pepper and onion at 500°F 30 to 35 minutes. Turn once halfway through baking time. Add mushrooms during last half of roasting time. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with parsley.
Source: © 2010, Courtesy of United Soybean Board