I serve these latkes with my favorite chicken or pot roast as a side dish. They are fragrant and so savory.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large russet potato, grated, all the water squeezed out
- 2 medium leeks, white parts only, sliced thinly
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons matzo meal
- 5 egg whites (whites make food crispy, yolks make food cakey)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- ½ cup duck fat
1. Mix all of the ingredients together. (I always make a small “tester” latke to make sure my seasoning is correct).
2. Heat a large sauté pan with the duck fat over medium heat. When the fat is hot and sizzles when a bit of potato is put in it, drop the latke mixture from teaspoons into the fat. Brown on each side and transfer to a paper-towel lined pan.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Spring 2013 SUBSCRIBE NOW