Use parsnips for a change of flavor and to lower the carbs in these classic Hanukkah latkes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 medium russet potatoes, about 1½-pounds, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups shredded parsnip, packed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup matzo meal
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon large flake sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine potato, parsnip, egg, matzo meal, thyme and garlic powder. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter and carefully place in oil. Flatten to about 1/2-inch thick with a spatula. Repeat to form 4 more latkes in your pan, being careful not to crowd the pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook 4 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.