This recipe is very versatile and is a great way to get your greens. The greens can be replaced with any blend of your choice, such as escarole, kale, even cabbage. Enjoy.
- Olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- several cloves garlic, minced
- good handful of fresh sage or rosemary, chopped
- several large stalks of cavolo nero, chopped or use kale
- several stalks of chard or escarole, chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pinch of red pepper flake
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 slices day old Italian bread
In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute the carrots, celery and onion for a few minutes. Add garlic and herbs. Cook for a minute or two longer. Add the greens, the tomato puree, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes and 6 cups of water or vegetable stock. Cook for 20-30 minutes and adjust seasoning to taste. Tear bread and add to soup, stir for a few minutes until it is absorbed. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy.
Recipe Notes: I like to puree the soup with an immersion blender before adding the bread, but I leave it up to you.