- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Salad:2 medium beets (about 8 oz/225 g total), peeled, cut into 8 wedges each 2
- 1 medium carrot (about 3 oz/85 g), peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces 1
- 1 medium parsnip (about 3 oz/85 g), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch pieces 1
- 1 tsp canola oil 5 mL
- 4 cups (about 4 oz/ 115 g) packed spring greens 1 L
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 125 mL
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional) 60 mL
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/ 28 g) pecan pieces, toasted 60 mL
- Vinaigrette:3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil 15 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced 1
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 mL
1 Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
2 Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Place beets, carrots, and parsnips on baking sheet.
3 Drizzle evenly with 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil and toss gently, yet thoroughly, to coat lightly.
4 Arrange vegetables in a single layer and bake 10 minutes; stir and bake an additional 7 minutes or until beets are just tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and let stand to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
5 Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar, secure lid, and shake well to blend thoroughly.
6 Arrange equal amounts of salad greens on four salad plates. In the following order, top with equal amounts of onion, roasted vegetables, raisins, and pecans.
7 Spoon vinaigrette evenly over all. Serve immediately for peak flavors.