The perfect vegan dinner for anyone looking to eat less meat. The eggplant is cooked perfectly when you make the criss-cross slices and roast in the oven. The honey and sesame seeds add sweet and crunch. Serve with the gorgeous couscous and kale side.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 eggplant
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, divided
- ⅔ cup couscous, dry
- 1½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons honey
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 cups kale, chopped
1. Wash eggplant, cut in half lengthwise, with the tip of the knife, cut diamond criss-cross into the flesh, not cutting through the skin.
2. Drizzle eggplant with oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat large oven-safe pan on medium-high heat. When pan is hot, place eggplant face down and sear until golden brown. Turn over and place pan in the oven for 10 minutes at 425℉.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil, add garlic, and ½ the lemon juice. Add 1 cup of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat.
4. In a small dish, combine sesame seeds and honey together. Remove eggplant from the oven and drizzle honey until covered. Sprinkle pomegranate arils over the eggplant. Replace pan in oven and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Place kale in a medium bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and toss with remaining lemon juice, ½ the lemon zest, couscous and season with salt and pepper.
Plate dish: Divide kale and quinoa salad between two plates, place eggplant, drizzle with tahini and garnish with remaining lemon zest.