Just like its name suggests, this cake tastes like the famous giant, chewy cookie. Not only is it gluten free, but it is easy to make and perfect all year-round. The cake layer can be made up to 2 days in advance and can be stored, tightly covered, at room temperature. Use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
Melting chocolate in a microwave will make the chocolate too hot and will burn or (in this recipe) will “scramble” the yolks!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise and seeds scraped out or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground almonds (about 2⅔ cups whole almonds)
- 5 ounces dried, unsweetened coconut
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds, chocolate shavings
1. Place a glass or metal mixing bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Add chocolate and melt until chocolate is smooth and has no lumps.
2. Whisk egg yolks, wine, and evoo into melted chocolate.
3. Set glaze aside to cool before using.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 11- x 17-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the paper.
2. Heat a small pan with several inches of water over medium heat. With a hand-held mixer or whisk, whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla over simmering water until the mixture has tripled in volume.
3. Fold in ground almonds and coconut. Spread batter on prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
4. Cool cake in pan, then invert on a cutting board. Peel off parchment and cut cake into thirds.
5. Place 1 layer of cake on a serving platter (and/or cardboard cake board). Schmear top of layer with glaze and then sandwich with another layer. Repeat with glaze and final cake layer. Schmear top and sides with remaining glaze.
6. Garnish with toasted almonds and shaved chocolate.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.