Sautéing Brussels sprouts brings out a caramel sweetness that goes perfectly with the delicate earthiness of chestnuts.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chestnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock, vegetable broth or water
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
1. Sauté Brussels sprouts in olive oil over medium high heat until the sprouts have browned slightly on all sides (about 8 to 10 minutes). Season lightly with salt and pepper at the start of cooking.
2. Lower heat to medium and add chestnuts, sauteeing for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add stock, broth or water and cook uncovered until the Brussel sprouts are just tender, about 4 minutes.
4. Taste and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Contributed by: Jay Eidelman