This seabass gefilte adds gourmet flair to the classic dish. You can order freshly ground sea bass from your local fishmonger or grind it yourself in a food processor for thirty seconds.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup ground sea bass
- 1/2 loaf defrosted gefilte fish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 cup sugar (optional)
- 1 fresh carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh beet, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Spray a 7-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Mix sea bass, gefilte fish, salt, white pepper, minced carrots, and minced parsley.
4. In a large baking dish, pour enough water to fill half of the baking dish.
5. Mix the sugar into the water. (optional)
6. Place gefilte fish mixture into the 7-inch loaf pan and place loaf pan into a baking dish.
7. Bake, covered, on 300°F for around 40 minutes until cooked.
8. While fish is baking, place carrot slices in 1⁄4 cup of pickle liquid. Place beets in remaining 1⁄4 cup of pickle liquid.
9. Serve fish with pickled beets and carrots and with horseradish mayonnaise.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now