- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6 servings ServingsServings
- 3/4 cup:rice
- 1-1/2 cup:water
- 2 cup:pea pods
- 2 cup:diced cooked chicken
- 1-11- ounce:can mandarin orange sections, well drained
- 1/2 cup:sliced water chestnuts, halved
- 1/4 cup:red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon:sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon:oil
- Salt and freshly:ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon:garlic powder
- Run cold water over rice in a strainer for about 1 minute, lifting rice to rinse well.
- In a medium saucepan bring rice and water to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 40 to 50 minutes or until done. Drain.
- Rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- In a mixing bowl toss together the rice, pea pods, chicken, orange sections, and water chestnuts.
- Cover; chill rice mixture for 6 hours or overnight.
- n a screw-top jar combine vinegar, sesame and salad oils, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Cover; chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Transport the vinegar and oil mixture and the rice mixture separately in an insulated cooler with an ice pack.
- Before serving at the picnic, shake vinegar and oil mixture well.
- Pour over rice mixture; toss.
- Serves 4 to 6.