You can make this homemade shawarma dinner any night of the week in under 30 minutes. We cook the rice in the oven for fail proof rice and chickpea side dish. The chicken cooks in minute on the stove and everyone will love the shawarma flavors reminiscent of your last trip to Israel.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons shawarma spice blend, divided
- Kosher salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Add rice and chickpeas to a casserole pan, season with 1 tablespoon shawarma spice mix, and ½ tablespoon salt. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Pour in 3 cups boiling water stir, cover, and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes. When ready, uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside until ready to serve
2. Meanwhile, slice chicken breasts into strips.
3. In a large bowl combine zest and juice of 1 lemon with garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, and 3 tablespoons shawarma spice, mix well. Add chicken and toss to coat.
4. Prepare tomato salad by combining tomatoes and onions in a bowl and tossing with balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. Heat a frying pan cook chicken 3 minutes per side. Serve with rice and tomato salad.