For this recipe we wanted something creamy, but since we are pairing it with chicken we can’t use yogurt. Coconut milk works wonderfully as a creamy dressing.
If they sell coleslaw in a bag already shredded go ahead and take that shortcut.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ onion, grated (with juice)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon silan or honey
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce or ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup fresh celery leaves or parsley, chopped
1. Preheat slow cooker to low. Add tomato paste, vinegar, onion, evoo, soy sauce, honey, and chipotle. Stir well.
2. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 – 7 hours. Chicken is done when cooked through and easy to shred.
3. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred each breast using two forks. Place shredded chicken back in the crock pot and stir to coat with sauce.
Serve on whole grain buns with slaw.
- In a large bowl combine coconut milk, salt, pepper, vinegar, evoo and spices.
- Mix well, add cabbages, carrots and celery leaves.
Toss well and let sit and chill for about an hour before serving.
- Serving Size: per serving
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 100 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 42 g
- Sodium Content: 420 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g