- 4-5 lbs. short rib meat
- ½ cup matzoh meal (or ground walnuts) + 2 Tbsp for onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp cottonseed oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper then dust lightly with matzoh meal.
- Heat cottonseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ribs on all sides. Place the ribs in your slow cooker.
- Add the onions and leeks to the pan and cook over medium-low heat until tender, around 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. The stir in remaining matzoh meal until well incorporated.
- Add the red wine and broth and stir, and then add the thyme and bay leaves.
- Pour the mixture over the ribs in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.