Everyone has leftover challah. So, why not use it for a special Sunday breakfast? We've taken the classic components of warm, gooey s'mores and gave them the French toast treatment.
Making your own graham cracker crumbs is easy. Just pulse graham crackers in a food processor or blender. Or place them in a resealable bag, and roll a rolling pin or drinking glass over them. You want fine crumbs that will completely coat the challah. Or, to save time, you can purchase graham crackers crumbs in a box.
And while this French toast makes a decadent breakfast, it works as a delicious dairy dessert, too.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices of challah
- 16 graham cracker squares, crushed into crumbs (see note under photo)
- 16 large marshmallows
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream and grated chocolate
1. Whisk eggs, cream, butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a pie pan or shallow casserole dish. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Pour graham cracker crumbs in a flat dish or pie pan.
3. Add a tablespoon of butter to a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat. Dredge a slice of challah in royale and then in graham cracker crumbs, coating both sides. Placing 2 to 3 slices in the pan at a time, cook challah slices 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer browned slices to prepared baking sheet, and keep warm in a 350°F oven. Repeat until all challah slices are cooked.
4. Remove challah from oven and set aside. Place marshmallows in a baking pan, and brulee with a kitchen torch until brown and gooey. Or, to brown in the oven, set broiler to high, and place the pan of marshmallows in the middle rack of your oven, leaving the door cracked open. Brown under the broiler for 2 to 4 minutes, carefully watching so marshmallows don’t burn.
5. To serve, place 2 slices of French toast on a plate, top with 4 bruleed marshmallows, a drizzle of chocolate, a dollop of whipped cream, and a sprinkle of grated chocolate. Repeat for additional servings.