Simple ingredients come together to create a healthy, gorgeous Asian-inspired soup. This meal in a bowl is picture perfect and making the perfect hard boiled eggs and fried garlic is essential.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, grated, or 6 frozen cubes
- 1 pound buckwheat soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups frozen, cubed butternut squash, thawed
- 3 cups torn kale
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, diced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: sliced creamy hard-boiled eggs, mung bean sprouts, crispy garlic chips, sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil
1. In a large pot, simmer broth, dried mushrooms, ginger, and garlic, covered, for about 20 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
2. Remove mushrooms and allow to cool briefly. Slice mushrooms.
3. Arrange noodles, shiitake mushrooms, squash, kale, jalapeño, and tofu into individual serving bowls or 1 giant bowl. Pour hot broth over soup ingredients.
4. Garnish with eggs, sprouts, garlic chips, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sesame oil.