Make this braised chicken recipe with thighs and enjoy with wild rice cakes. It is a unique new way to serve chicken you will all love.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
For the braising liquid
- ½ cup best quality soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon microplaned fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons 5 spice powder (easily found in most grocery stores or online)
- Dash of favorite hot sauce
For the chicken
- sesame oil
- chicken thighs
Preheat oven to 325 or Slow cooker to HIGH
- Place all the ingredients for the braising liquid in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat the pan with toasted sesame oil.
- Brown the thighs, skin side down, until very dark and caramelized. Transfer the thighs to a Dutch oven or slow cooker.
- Add the braising liquid and cover. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes or in the slow cooker for 3 hours or until done.
- Serve with Miso and Shiitake Wild Rice Cakes. Spoon braising liquid over the chicken and cakes. Garnish with sliced scallions and cashews.