This recipe for Soy Macaroni and "Cheese" with Vegetable Shells is so deliciously "cheesy" that you may even forget that it is parve! You can find these ingredients and more at Eden.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups EDEN soy milk
- 1/2 large sweet onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1 (12 oz.) box EDEN vegetable shells pasta
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon EDEN sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8X11" baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Bring soy milk, sweet onion, and garlic cloves to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Once boiling, turn heat to medium low and simmer until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil noodles for 8 minutes at a rolling boil. Drain the noodles, then rinse them in cool water for 30 seconds, to make sure noodles stay al dente and don’t stick together.
4. Pour soy and vegetable mixture into a blender with nutritional yeast, salt, dijon mustard and chili powder. Blend until smooth.
5. Melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat in a medium Dutch oven, then add flour. Whisk the flour and oil constantly for about 3 minutes, or until a light brown roux forms. Next, add milk mixture very slowly (be careful it will bubble), whisking constantly.
6. Cook until the liquid is thickened on medium heat. Turn to medium low if the liquid gets too bubbly. It should have reduced at least 1/3 in volume.
7. Toss cooled noodles into pan with sauce, then pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
8. Toss breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil.
9. Spread breadcrumbs to taste over casserole and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro to finish.