SPAGHETTI SQUASH Arrabiata (the Pasta dish that bites back!)
Serve this low-carb, gluten-free version of a classic Italian Pasta as a main dish entree.
Serve with Whole-Wheat Garlic Bread.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or MORE!
- ½ or more teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Garnish: grated cheese, crushed red pepper, chopped kalamata olives
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds, leaving the flesh intact.
3. Drizzle cut side with 2 tablespoons evoo, and season with salt and pepper. Place cut-side down on prepared baking sheet. Roast in a 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted with no resistance.
4. Meanwhile, toss tomatoes with 2 tablespoons evoo, salt, and pepper. In the last 15 minutes of cooking, place tomatoes in the oven along with the squash for 15 minutes, or until blistered.
5. Remove squash and tomatoes from oven and cool. With a fork, gently scrape the fragile squash strands into a mixing bowl.
6. Heat 2 teaspoons of evoo in a large saute pan. Add crushed red pepper and lots of black pepper. Allow peppers to heat up and really toast in oil. Add garlic, blistered tomatoes and spaghetti squash. Gently toss together.
7. Fold in parsley, and 1 tablespoon of evoo. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top (if using). Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 304
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 25.7 g
- Fiber Content: 5.1 g
- Protein Content: 4.2 g
- Sodium Content: 883 mg
- Sugar Content: 7.4 g