I love Patatas Bravas, a fried potato dish served with a spicy red sauce. I have tried many variations, but this sauce is the best. So delicious and not too unhealthy since I used low fat mayo. I also roasted the potatoes instead of frying which was easier and healthier. Inspired by Bobby Flay's recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 2-3 pouds Russet potatoes, chopped and placed in a bowl of cold water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 large plum tomato or two campari tomatoes, halved and seeded and roasted in 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes
- few dashes hot pepper sauce like Tabasco (add more if you like it spicy)
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Cut your potatoes and place them in water for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400.
Drain the potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil of your choice (about 2 tablespoons) and sprinkle with salt. Place in oven for about 40 minutes, tossing with a spatula half way through.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add paprika and cook for 30 seconds more while stirring. Cool slightly.
Combine onion mixture, mayo, roasted tomato, hot pepper sauce, and vinegar in blender. Puree and blend well, add salt and pepper to taste (adjust spice level with hot pepper sauce). Set aside in fridge while waiting for potatoes.
When potatoes are done, place them in a bowl and serve sauce on the side or toss them in the sauce and serve immediately.