This cheesey Spinach and Feta Stuffed Challah is delicious served warm with any dairy meal, especially for a Shavuot treat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ½-5 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 heaping teaspoon jarred chopped garlic (in oil)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 ounce) package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Thick sea salt (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
1. In a small bowl, place yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and lukewarm water. Allow to sit around 10 minutes, until it becomes foamy on top.
2. In small bowl, mix vegetable oil, oregano, and garlic. Allow to sit for a few minutes while the yeast proofs.
3. In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together 1 ½ cups flour, salt, and sugar. After the water-yeast mixture has become foamy, add to flour mixture along with oil-oregano-garlic mixture. Combine thoroughly.
4. Add another 1 cup of flour and eggs and mix until smooth. Switch to the dough hook attachment if you are using a stand mixer.
5. Add another 1 ½-2 cups of flour, mixing thoroughly, and then remove from bowl and place on a floured surface. Knead remaining ½ cup flour into dough, continuing to knead for 3-4 minutes until smooth and elastic.
6. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with damp towel. Allow to rise at least 3 hours.
7. Combine spinach, feta, 1 egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl.
8. Roll out dough into a large rectangle about ¾ inch thick. Spread an even layer of spinach- feta mixture all over the surface of the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
9. Roll into a log the long way and pinch the ends. Using a serrated knife, slice into around 12 pieces and place in a greased 9x12 Pyrex or baking dish. Allow to rise again 45–60 minutes.
10. Beat 1 egg in a small bowl. Brush tops of rolls with egg wash. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and a sprinkle of thick sea salt.
11. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top and middles do not seem mushy. Serve warm.