- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 36 jumbo asparagus spears, peeled
- 2 cups (200g) Pickled Red Onions*
- 3 cups (225g) mixed baby salad
- 1cup (250ml) sherry mustard vinaigrette
- Parmesan cheese
Pickled Red Onions (makes about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 red onions
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 cups (500ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (225g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
1. Thinly slice the onions.
2. Combine the water, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a saucepan, bring to simmering over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
3. Wrap the seeds and bay leaf in a small piece of cheesecloth, tying closed with kitchen twine.
4. Add this spice sachet and the onions to the saucepan and bring to boiling.
5. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and let the onions reach room temperature in the pickling liquid.
6. Discard the spice sachet and if not ready to use the onions, transfer them and the liquid to a container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to simmering over high heat, add the asparagus and boil until al dente – 3 to 4 minutes.
Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a bowl of ice water and allow to chill completely. Transfer the asparagus to kitchen towels to drain.
Lay 6 asparagus spears on each of six plates and divide the pickled red onions equally over the asparagus.
In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the vinaigrette to taste and mound them on top of the onions and asparagus.
Shave very thin slices of Parmesan cheese and lay them over the salad.
Drizzle with additional vinaigrette if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Todd Gray and Ellen Kassoff Gray