There are a few different takes on standard applesauce and this strawberry applesauce is one of them. It can be a side dish or stand as a dessert in its own right.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 - 8Servings
- 2 1/2 pounds small Red Delicious apples (about 6 medium), quartered, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1-pint) basket fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1 (3-ounce) package kosher strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
1. In a large sauce pan, combine apples, water and strawberries. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until apples are falling-apart tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
2. Mix in gelatin and stir until dissolved.
3. Adjust tartness with lemon juice, if desired. Cover and let cool.
4. Refrigerate until cold and thickened, at least 2 hours.
Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead.