This nourishing dessert pairs red strawberries with pale green, luscious pistachio cream. It’s also delicious with almond, hazelnut, or macadamia nut cream; follow the same recipe, just use different nuts. You can also try fresh blueberries or a mixture of berries on top. Make sure to use raw (not roasted) pistachios for a greener, fresher-tasting cream.
Note: Nuts must be soaked 8 hours in advance.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- Optional for garnish: 1 teaspoon freshlygrated orange zest
1. Place the nuts in a medium bowl and cover with a couple of inches of water. Soak for 8 hours.
2. Rinse and drain the pistachios (they will have increased in volume to about 1½ cups), and transfer to a high-speed blender. Add 1 cup fresh water, the honey, almond extract, and salt, and puree until smooth, about 1 minute. (You should yield a scant 2 cups pistachio cream.)
3. Spoon the pistachio cream into 4 small dessert cups or bowls. Arrange the berries on top. Sprinkle with pistachios and, if desired, orange zest. Serve.
Recipe excerpted with permission from The New Milks: 100-Plus Dairy-Free Recipes for Making and Cooking with Soy, Nut, Seed, Grain, and Coconut Milks, by Dina Cheney