Try to include fruit in desserts whenever possible, but be sure to still make fruity desserts, feel like indulgent desserts strawberries are particularly known for their antioxidants, like vitamin C.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Prepare crust: Whisk together sugar, flours, flax and salt. Using a large spoon mix in coconut oil and almond milk. Using your hands, form dough into ball.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle a little flour on both dough ball and the rolling pin, and roll dough out into a circle roughly 12 inches in diameter (it does not need to be perfect).
4. Lay pastry dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
5. In a large bowl gently toss strawberries with lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar.
6. Arrange strawberries in a pinwheel pattern on dough circle, starting in the middle, forming concentric circles (feel free to just pile fruit in center if prefered).
7. Fold crust over the edges of fruit forming a rim about 2 inches wide all the way around.
8. Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
9. Allow tart to cool slightly before slicing and serving warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sugar Content: 9 g