The combination of sweet potato and marshmallow makes for a nice balance of sweetness without being overly so. But if you love a super sweet casserole add ⅓ cup brown sugar to the mashed sweet potato mixture.
For a unique variation try adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of Jamie Geller Hawaij for Coffee. Learn more about this spice mix in the video below.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2½ pounds sweet potatoes (4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Cover potatoes with water in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Drain well and return to the pot. Add margarine, egg, vanilla, and salt. Mash with a fork or potato masher until slightly chunky. Stir in pecans.
4. Transfer to prepared baking dish and smooth top. Cover with marshmallows and bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of JOY of KOSHER Fast, Fresh Family Recipes, by Jamie Geller (HarperCollins 2013) - BUY NOW