This sweet potato soup can be served in smaller portions as a dinner appetizer or used as a meal in itself (think soup and sandwich) on a cool autumn or cold winter day. The sweet potato chips are the added bonus. Be sure to make enough - extra chips are a must!
Cooking hint: Cut the sweet potatoes into very small cubes to speed up cooking time.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 7 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Sweet Potato Chips:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
1. Heat evoo in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes, stock, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree soup, or transfer in batches to a blender.
4. Add pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup and stir to combine. Serve hot.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, create thin strips of sweet potato. Continue peeling until the entire sweet potato is used.
3. Lay the strips on the baking sheet. Brush with evoo and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake about 8 minutes until chips are crunchy, watching carefully so chips don't burn.