The key to amazing tabbouleh salad is in the parsley. Get lots of fresh good stuff. This tabbouleh is made low carb and gluten free and Keto friendly using cauliflower in place of cracked wheat.
- Prep Time
- ½ small cauliflower
- 2 cups of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (approx. 3 bunches)
- ½ cup of mint, finely chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber, chopped (the normal kind in Israel)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup quality extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
For the cauliflower rice:
1. Cut the cauliflower in half. Cut out the hard core. Cut into pieces that fit in the food processor.
2. Place pieces in food processor. Pulse about 5 times or until pieces are the size of rice. You can also use a hand grater for this step.
3. Transfer the cauliflower rice to a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 2 1/2 mins. This leaves the cauliflower rice with a little crunch- which we love for tabbouleh salad! If you want the cauliflower rice to taste more like actual rice, microwave for 3 minutes.
For the salad:
Literally just add everything to a bowl and mix. But there are a couple important tips if you want a more authentic tabbouleh salad:
Tabbouleh tip #1: It’s all about the parsley. Parsley should be the main ingredient in the salad- get some fresh parsley!
Tabbouleh tip #2: Make sure the parsley and mint are dry before adding to the salad. Use paper towels or a spin dryer thing. Any extra water in the salad is bad.