A sophisticated and sweet cookie inspired by Israel’s famed seeds and fruit.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 36 ServingsServings
- 2/3 cup (136 grams) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (152 grams) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (124 grams) tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 5 tablespoon (75 grams) heavy cream
- 2 (100 grams) large eggs
- 3 cups (390 grams) cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon (6 grams) ground cinnamon, roasted preferred
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cardamom, roasted preferred
Pomegranate Caramel Thumbprint Filling:
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place the sugar and butter and beat on medium speed until light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add the tahini, vanilla, and cream and mix just to combine. Add the flour salt, cinnamon, cardamom and mix just until the dough comes together. Refrigerate the dough, covered, until fully chilled (about 2 hours).
- Make the filling: Heat the pomegranate molasses in a small saucepot over high heat until the edges begin to bubble. Add the confectioners sugar and whisk well to combine, until the sugar is fully incorporated. Allow the mixture to come to a rolling boil while continuing to whisk for about 1 minute. Remove from heat, but keep it slightly warm so it stays malleable enough to roll.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. Scoop about 2 teaspoons of the dough and roll into a ball between your palms. Place the ball on one of the prepared sheets.
- Continue forming the rest of the dough into balls and placing them on the prepared sheets, spacing them 1½ to 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, dip it in cold water and make an indentation in each cookie (you can also do this with the back of the a small melon baller dipped in cold water).
- Dip your fingers in cold water again. Using a small spoon, scoop up about ½ teaspoon of the filling and roll into a small ball using thumb and forefingers. Place the filling in the well of a cookie. Repeat with all cookies, dipping fingers into the cold water between shaping every other filling ball (note: the pomegranate caramel is too sticky to spoon without forming it this way).
- Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to 10 days.