Yom Haatzmaut is the barbecue (mangal) holiday in Israel . Every year we meet with friends under our secret tree on the Carmel Mountain. We always have two charcoal grills: Meat and veggie. Our family is responsible for the veggie skewers that include veggies and tofu or seitan in a marinade. The skewers are very popular among the meat eaters as well.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 skewersServings
- 12 skewers
- 12 whole cherry tomatoes or 2 hard tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 2 cm slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 14 oz. (400 gr.) whole fresh white button mushrooms
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 10 oz. (300 gr.) firm or extra firm tofu or seitan, cut into chunks
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place all veggies and tofu in a bowl. Mix together the marinade ingredients, then pour over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat outdoor grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
3. Thread vegetables and tofu onto skewers. Cook skewers on preheated grill until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes, turning and basting with reserved marinade occasionally.