This recipe was adapted from Food52. Even though fresh summer tomatoes are delicious, when cooked down like this, their flavor intensifies. You will want to just stand over the oven and eat this with a spoon when it comes out of the oven and why not.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cubed stale bread, any kind
- 7 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly browned. Add the tomatoes, garlic, shallots and sugar to the pan and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add the basil and remove from the heat.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a nice deep baking dish, maybe even a pie dish. Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with 1/w tablespoon of olive oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve hot or warm.